School Uniforms & Dress Code
School uniforms give students a sense of identity, that they are collectively part of something bigger.
The following dress code is to be followed as outlined in the Family Handbook beginning on page 42.2021/2022 Family Handbook
New, solid-colored uniform pieces may be purchased through Dennis Uniform, DiGiorgio's Sportswear or through any store that sells them such as Target or Old Navy. New, plaid uniform pieces, such as jumpers, skorts and skirts, and khaki pants, skorts & shorts (6-8th grade only) must be through Dennis Uniform or DiGiorgio's Sportswear. You may also purchase used uniform pieces for sale by parents at the Used Uniform Sale, which is organized by the Home and School Association, and scheduled for Sunday, August 1, 2021.
- Need to be worn at the waist (cargo pants are not acceptable)
- Navy blue pants (grades 6-8 have the option to wear Khaki pants, but they must be the khaki color sold at Dennis or Digiorgios)
- Navy blue corduroy pants for winter months (optional)
- Gray (must be the color sold for SSM at Dennis or Digiorgios) or white knit shirt (short or long-sleeved), SSM logo optional
- Crew neck sweatshirts or quarter zip uniform sweatshirts in navy or red purchased through Dennis or Digiorgios with the SSM logo. Older screen printed sweatshirts may only be worn on Martyr Monday’s.
- Navy blue or red uniform cardigan sweater (optional)
- Spirit Wear sweatshirts are only allowed on designated days
- Note: Official Scout uniforms on meeting days are allowed
- Navy blue walking shorts (grades 6-8 have the option to wear khaki shorts, but they must be the khaki color sold at Dennis or Digiorgios)
- Shorts are optional attire that may be worn throughout the year unless a special event is planned and requires pants.
- Short length: Knee length to 2-inches above the knee
- All students need to wear a single pair of socks.
- Color: solid navy blue, solid black, solid gray, or solid white socks (no beads or ornaments, team logos or stripes up the back; small discreet shoe logos are acceptable)
- Tennis shoes (with ties or velcro for PE)
- Dress shoes
- Shoes must have closed heel and closed toe
- No sandals, air pumps, black soles that leave marks, light-up shoes, boots during school hours, and shoes with wheels
- Shoes need to be visibly tied at all times.
- Belts are optional, but may be required for special events like certain field trips. They will need to be black, navy, or brown.
- Need to be solid black, brown or navy blue in color
Jumpers, Skirts & Skorts:
- Grades K-5: plaid jumpers, navy and plaid skorts, navy skorts
- Grades 6-8: plaid skirts (bib can be removed from jumper)
- Grade 6-8: navy or khaki skorts (must be the khaki color sold at Dennis or Digiorgio’s)
- Length of jumpers, skirts & skorts: knee length to 3-inches above the knee
- Cargo pants are not acceptable
- Navy blue slacks-pleated or flat front are allowed (grades 6-8 have the option to wear Khaki pants, but they must be the khaki color sold at Dennis or Digiorgios)
- Dark navy blue corduroy for winter months is optional
- White knit shirt (long or short-sleeved) with/without banded bottom
- Gray knit shirt (long or short sleeved), white blouse with a pointed, button-down or peter pan collar (SSM logo optional)
- White turtleneck optional during the winter months
- Crew neck sweatshirts or quarter-zip sweatshirts must be purchased through DiGiorgio’s or Dennis Uniform with the SSM Logo. Older screen printed sweatshirts may only be worn on Martyr Monday’s.
- Spirit Wear sweatshirts are only allowed on designated days.
- K-8 navy blue or red uniform cardigan (optional)
- Note: Official Scout uniforms on meeting days are allowed
- Navy, khaki (grades 6-8 only and must be the khaki color sold at Dennis or Digiorgios) or plaid skort is optional attire that may be worn all year
- length of skort: knee length to 2 inches above the knee
- navy walking shorts (or khaki for grades 6-8, must be the khaki color sold at Dennis or Digiorgios) are optional attire that may be worn unless a specific event requires pants.
- length of shorts: knee length to 3 inches above the knee
- All students need to wear socks.
- color: solid navy blue, solid gray, solid black or solid white plain socks (no beads, ornaments, no team logos or stripes up the back; mall discreet shoe logos are acceptable)
- knee highs: solid navy, solid black or solid white
- tights: solid navy, solid black or solid white
- leggings: optional attire, solid color, navy blue or black and fitted (tight at ankle)
- tennis shoes (with ties or velcro for PE)
- dress shoes
- shoes must have closed heel and closed toe
- no sandals, no air pumps, no black soles that leave marks, no light-up shoes, no shoes with wheels, no boots during school hours
- shoes need to be visibly tied at all times
Early-Preschool, Preschool and Pre-K students do not wear uniforms but should wear comfortable play clothes and shoes suitable for the weather. Sandals need a back strap. No flip-flops for safety on playground and tripping.
All middle school students (6-8) are required to purchase a St. Stephen's PE (physical education) uniform from DiGiorgio’s Sportswear. This PE uniform will be the only acceptable attire for physical education classes in middle school. Students are not allowed to wear colored t-shirts or t-shirts with lettering/writing under their uniform shirts. Students’ clothing and other personal belongings must be marked with the last name and first initial. Any materials found will be placed in the Lost and Found near the office. If purchasing used uniforms, remove the prior owner’s identification and replace it with your own.
Hairstyles must be kept neat and trimmed. Hair must be out of the student’s face. Other extremes in dress and hairstyles such as mohawks, shaved lettering, tails, etc. are prohibited. Extreme hair color variations will not be allowed. Boys hair length must be above the collar.
Makeup is not worn until eighth grade and then only moderately. No fake fingernails are allowed. Girls may wear nail polish and it must be one color and neatly kept and trim. No tattoos, temporary or permanent, are allowed.
Girls (K-8) may wear one earring (not dangling) per ear, except when activities would warrant them dangerous. No cartilage earrings are allowed. Faddish and extreme adornments are prohibited (such as Livestrong style and Jelly bracelets) and would require special permission from administration. Boys may not wear earrings or jewelry.
The Principal has the discretion to determine whether hair, makeup, and jewelry are appropriate.
Beginning in September most Mondays throughout the school year will be “Martyr Mondays”. On these days, students can wear a “spirit” sweatshirt/T-shirt purchased through the 8th grade fundraiser or another approved SSM spirit top (including: Martyr Marathon t-shirts, SSM sports camps/team shirts/jerseys, VBS shirts). Students will wear uniform bottoms, socks and shoes. We will inform you ahead of time if it is a regular uniform day or an earned dress down day (Holy Days, special events, incentive/rewards, etc.).
On occasion, the students are given the opportunity to dispense with uniforms and dress casually. These days will be on specific days throughout the year. We will inform you ahead of time if it is a regular uniform day or an earned dress down day (Holy Days, special events, incentive/rewards, etc.). Attire for dress down days may consist of blue jeans and pants in good condition (no holes) and shirts appropriate for school. If shorts are worn, they will be the length of the uniform shorts. Stomachs, backs, and shoulders must be covered. Girls wearing jewelry must follow the guidelines of the handbook (no hoop earrings). If girls wear leggings or tights, tops/tunics must be worn over the leggings and must be at least the length of mid thigh. Open-toe shoes can be worn with dressy clothes but students are advised to avoid all shoes with slick or smooth soles that slide on surfaces and can lead to injury.
The following are NOT allowed on a Dress Down Day: Short-shorts, running shorts, and flip-flops, slides, tank tops, or t-shirts with inappropriate words, messages, or pictures (including those of some rock bands), pants with writing on the backside (the seat of the pants), boys wearing earrings or jewelry, girls wearing scarves or bandanas, hats, pajama pants for boys and girls, and leggings, yoga pants, or tights cannot be worn with regular length shirts or tops (only mid-thigh shirts are acceptable).
The Principal has the discretion to determine what is appropriate dress down day attire. Students may be required to change into a school uniform.
Please label all your child’s personal belongings that are sent to school. This includes uniforms (especially sweatshirts or sweaters), backpacks, lunch boxes, jackets, and snow gear (boots, snow pants, hats & gloves).
The Lost & Found box is located in the commons under the trophy case. Should an item of your child’s go missing, please ask the office staff to help you locate the box.