Welcome to St. Stephen the Martyr Catholic School
We are united in Christ to ignite the joy of faith, community, and learning.
The below FAQ can help answer a lot of your questions about our school and community. If you can't find the answer to your question, please get in touch with our Home & School Association or School Office.Get in touch
Teacher/Class Lists are announced the week before school starts - until then, know your students will find classmates and teachers they love! All of our teachers are listed on our contact us webpage.
School supplies list can be found at: school.stephen.org/school-supplies. 2022/2023 school year lists are posted.
Your child will have a great first day! We will focus on activities to help them get the feel for our classroom and their classmates.
2022/2023 School Year - Important First Week Dates:
- Tuesday, August 16: Back to School Night
- Thursday, August 18:
- First Day for K-8 (Noon Dismissal)
- First Day for TK A-L (Noon Dismissal - No school for TK M-Z)
- Friday, August 19
- First Day for TK M-Z (Noon Dismissal - No school for TK A-L)
- K-8 (Noon Dismissal)
- Monday, August 22:
- First Day of 3-Day Preschool, 3-Day PreK & 5-Day PreK
- First Full Day For TK-8
- Tuesday, August 23: First Day of 2-Day Preschool
There are many ways we communicate with our SSM school community, but email is our primary communication channel. Please ensure you have a current email on file with the School Office. Here is an overview of what you can expect:
- Weekly emails from Mrs. Perrault: you'll receive all pertinent information to keep you informed. Please verify with office staff that you are included if you haven't heard from Mrs. Perrault.
- Martyr Messenger: a bi-weekly newsletter sent out by administration and posted to our website at: school.stephen.org/martyr-messenger.
- SSM Google calendar: contains all scheduled school activities and parties as well as Martyr Monday and and dress down days. Located here: school.stephen.org/google-calendar or add the calendar to your phone or computer with a direct link, available via Mr. Verraneault at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teacher emails and classroom sites: how frequently you'll hear from your child's teacher(s) will be discussed at Curriculum Night. You can always reach out to your child's teacher directly via email.
- Friday Folders: teachers send home forms and flyers parents will need to review and possibly send back
- Private Facebook Groups for each grade level: search Facebook for SSM Class of 20XY to find your child(ren)'s group. Stay informed and ask questions about every day class activities, field trips, sports, parties, etc.
- Follow SSM on Social Media:
- Home and School Parent's Association:
- Parish and School Sports Club: facebook.com/ssmsportsclub
- Parish Martyr Moms: Private Facebook Group
Most of the below information is pulled from our Family Handbook. For additional information on any of the items, please refer to it.
All school uniform, dress code and purchasing information can be found here: school.stephen.org/uniforms.
Morning Drop Off & Afternoon Pick Up information is listed on our Drop Off & Pick Up Procedures webpage.
For absences, tardiness or early departures, parents should call 402-896-9675 or e-mail email@example.com and their teacher.
If your child will miss school, please contact the school office and your child's teacher. If the absence is due to illness, please provide a brief explanation of your child’s sickness (helps with watching trends) including where the make-up work may be picked up; either home with a sibling or sent to the office for pick up.
Students are tardy if they arrive after 8 a.m. Please contact us to inform staff if your child will need a hot lunch and which meal choice they are selecting (details in below FAQ). When your child arrives to school, they must report to the office for a tardy pass.
If your child needs to leave school early or for a period of time for an appointment, you should contact the school office by phone or email ahead of time. When you arrive to school, please report to the school office to sign out your child; all students must be signed-out prior to being allowed to leave. Upon return to school, please accompany your student to the school office to sign in your child and receive an admittance slip to class. This procedure helps maintain accurate attendance and guards for the safekeeping of all students.
2021/2022 Curriculum Night is scheduled for Thursday, September 9th. More details will be announced as we get closer to this date.
This event informs parents of the curriculum that used and covered in our classrooms. We will have tips on how you can support your student’s learning at home. Our teachers are also available to answer any questions you may have. Students do not attend curriculum night - just parents.
Read more about our Curriculum Standards at: lovemyschool.com/curriculum
Students in grades TK-8 can choose between bringing their own lunch or paying for our hot lunch program. The menu changes daily and is provided by Westside Public Schools Catering. Here is a sample lunch menu.
Our before and after school care program is called Kidzone. Learn more about Kidzone at: school.stephen.org/kidzone.
For winter weather closings, SSM will follow Millard Public Schools and/or Omaha Catholic Schools cancellations. If they announce the school closing as a "late start" or "remote learning" day, SSM will have the day off (without remote learning).
This is the secure site used by SSM teachers to post grades and missing assignments for your child. A password for your family is sent home at the beginning of the school year. Learn more about Sycamore.
As an enrichment to our daily school instruction and activities, we offer extracurricular activities for students. Other extracurricular experiences, not sponsored by the school, may be available. Visit: school.stephen.org/sports-activities
Scouting and PATH: many grades start a scouting or PATH group. It just takes a few willing parents to get a group started! Parents from previous grades would be willing to help get you started.
Often parents will sign their kids up on the same basketball or t-ball teams through organization like the YMCA. Using your Class Facebook page is a great way to find out what activities your child’s classmates are participating in.
Parent involvement is key to creating and maintaining a strong SSM school and parish community. Our Home and School Association coordinates the many days, events and activities that support SSM. You can learn more about our current volunteer opportunities and sign up at: school.stephen.org/volunteer.
Learn more about our Home and School Association at: school.stephen.org/home-and-school. Contact H&S if you are interested in joining a committee or want more information on how to get involved.
All SSM volunteers are required to be Safe Environment Trained and Certified through the Archdiocese of Omaha. You can find a session that works for you on their website. Register here.
Our students attend mass two times/week*.
- Tuesday - 1st & 2nd grade
- Wednesday - 3rd, 4th & 5th grade
- Thursday - 6th, 7th & 8th grade
- Friday - all school mass (including Kindergarten, beginning in October)
Our Kinder classes sit with 5th-grade classes and each student is assigned a 5th-grade buddy. We do special activities with these buddies throughout the year. Preschool-TK students will not attend Mass.
You are welcome to attend any and all school masses.
*Please note that Mass schedules may be changed due to COVID-19 precautions.
Treats are welcome, however, be sure to discuss with your child’s teacher prior to bringing in any treats as there may be children with specific allergies. Be sure to consult the Family Handbook prior to selecting birthday treats.
The Lost & Found box is located in the commons under the trophy case. Should an item of your child’s go missing, please ask office staff to help you locate the box. Labeling your child's items is recommended for easy identification.
Regular recesses are scheduled for TK-5 students. Please make sure your child is appropriately dressed for the weather. When there is a wind chill below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, or other weather concerns, students will have indoor recess.
Students are invited to bring snow bibs/pants & boots to play in the snow when weather permits. Please label all of items & send in separate bag for easy transportation to and from school.
During enrollment you completed a registration form with Tuition Payment and eLunch Authorization and were given the option to pay tuition in full or in 10 monthly payments automatically debited from your bank account starting in July and ending in April.
For the monthly payments option and for eLunch, you were also given the choice for the debits to occur on the 1st Monday of the Month or the 3rd Monday of the Month. Tuition and eLunch will be debited in separate transactions on your bank statement.
The eLunch debit may sometimes include other items you've authorized such as Field Trips and/or Home and School membership dues. A statement of these transactions will be sent home monthly in your child's Friday Folder.
For any questions about tuition or transactions you may contact Nancy Major, our office manager/admin assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-896-0754.
For the 2022/2023 school year, we will offer 5 programs:
- 2-Day Preschool: 3-year-old, 2 days/week, AM or PM Sessions
- 3-Day Preschool: 3-year-old, 3 days/week, AM Session (Note: 3-Day Preschool is at capacity for 2022/2023 school year.)
- 3-Day PreK: 4 & 5-year-old, 3 days/week, PM Session
- 5-Day PreK: 4 & 5-year-old, 5 days/week, AM or PM Sessions (Note: The AM session is at capacity for 2022/2023 school year.)
- Transitional Kindergarten (TK): 5-year-old, 5 days/week, all-day (Note: TK is at capacity for the 2022/2023 school year. Interested families can request to be added to the waiting list.)
For more information about our preschool, PreK and TK programs visit: school.stephen.org/preschool.
St. Stephen the Martyr Catholic Church is a community for all people to encounter Christ, know Christ, and proclaim Christ. We are the largest Catholic parish in Nebraska serving over 700 students in our School (PreK - 8 Grade), 900 youth in our Religious Education and Youth Ministry programs and over 3,500 families, plus many more through our Care and Outreach Ministries. Our community is always growing as we welcome new individuals and families. Here you'll discover a spiritual family eager to help you grow in your relationship with Jesus. We offer many opportunities for you! Learn more at stephen.org
This time is uncertain and our current environment is ever-changing. We want to keep you informed. COVID-19 policies and any informational updates will be shared via email to enrolled families and posted on our website as necessary. Visit school.stephen.org/covid for information and resources.
Note: Because of our current environment, some details listed above may be altered as needed to keep our students, staff and families healthy and safe.
If you have questions specific to your student and the school day, we recommend starting with your child's teacher with an email. A full staff directory can be found at: school.stephen.org/contact-us.
The office and administration staff can help too. For general questions call 402-896-0754 or email email@example.com. Each of our administrative assistants will receive your email and respond accordingly.